LHF#72: World Flipped



Reading through the book of Acts I came across this phrase:


... men who have 
turned the world 
upside down ...
Acts 17:6


These words were used by Jews opposed to Christians about the spread of the Gospel under the ministry of Paul. The accusation was that the believers had caused widespread disturbances, confusing and troubling folks. The "upside down" part means to stir up, excite, and unsettle. It wasn't a compliment!

Now there are things that can move us, shake us up, cause us to become unsettled or excited. Like this pandemic, for instance. The latest stats. The possible threat. The effects on the economy. Concern for the weak. Hopelessness about our plans. The death of dreams. Stress of time with family. Exasperation with time alone. Forced distance from loved ones. Fear of a second outbreak. Apprehension about the "new normal". It's enough to influence every part our being.

Made me think...
Does the Gospel cause a stirring in my soul?
Am I moved to love Him more?
Is my sin nature unsettled by the new life I have in Christ?
Do I have a "holy discontentment" when I grieve the Lord?
Does the work of God excite me?
Am I eager to be involved in His tasks?

My friend, may His steadfast love and amazing grace turn your world upside down-- and mine as well!


written by Gina 

Comments