LHF#29: Love in Action



Some of us are stuck at home with children.
Others have teens or older relatives to spend these days with.
And there are those of us who are alone.
In thinking of what is true and right for all of us, in whatever situation we may be in,
I was reminded today of love. 

All of God's commandments to His people can be summed up in love for God and love for others (Matthew 22:40). There are no greater commandments that God has given (Mark 12:30-31). Love for one another is the only way we are to be indebted to each other (Romans 13:8)!

So what does this kind of love look like? 
Well, just think of the love God has for us. This love He has poured into our hearts (Romans 5:5). It is God's intention that we share this same love with others. 
And we have a perfect description of this love... :)

Love is patient and kind;
love does not envy or boast;
it is not arrogant or rude.
It does not insist on it's own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, 
but rejoices with the truth.
Love bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things, 
endures all things.  
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Whether we are spending more time cooped up together, or enduring many days on our own at home, it's going to be increasingly more difficult to love. Especially in this uncertain and challenging situation, we are going to be under pressure. That pressure will tempt us to indulge in self centeredness of all sorts. Our hearts will be revealed, the good and the bad. 

So this is a tall order indeed! Let's get very practical:
What to do if we're having trouble loving as God intends?
How can we put the love of God into action at home?
How can we be loving others from a distance?


written by Gina 

Comments

Anonymous said…
What to do if we are having trouble loving? Go off by ourselves and spend some time talking with God. That has always helped me to put things back into perspective. As a teenager, and not a Jesus follower yet, but a God follower, I remember being angry with my mom. I'd go into my room, and perhaps slam the door, and go to my corner where I leaned against my dresser and sulked and then talked to God. It would always start with my bad attitude of how unfair my mother was...and always end up with my confessing my own shortfalls and contributions to the problems.
I might also suggest talking with a trusted Christian friend who might lovingly steer you back in the right direction.
And of course read God's word for truth, comfort, and advice.
How to put it into practice? Spend time together-talking and sharing hopes, dreams, fears, joys, sorrows...Do unusual and fun things together, like making maple syrup snow cones on an unexpected snowy day in March., or taking a nature walk together.
From a distance-drop a gift off at a friend's house, download Zoom and talk face to face with someone. We are doing that with my dad every few days. Drop a package of food or paper goods off to an elderly neighbor and listen to them from a safe distance and they share and talk with another human being, which they may not have done in some time. I found out a few things I didn't know about mine and she was much more eager to share than usual-more deep and meaningful. I think the harvest is much more ripe right now for people to hear the truth.
Karen
Gina said…
Thank you, Karen. This was an encouragement. And really great ideas. I appreciate all you are sharing with us.