LHF#20: St. Patricks Day / Always Together



Sticking with the St. Patrick's Day theme here...
In reading about Patrick today I had just one more thing I wanted to share. Hopefully this will be of encouragement to you as it was to me.  

You may have heard of the Prayer of St. Patrick, also known as St Patrick’s Breastplate. It is believed that this prayer was written by Patrick himself. The words of the prayer have been turned into a song that is sung in different denominations as part of their St. Patrick's Day celebrations.

I want to highlight 2 small sections of the prayer here. 
The first comes about midway through the prayer and conveys remarkable dependence upon God:

"I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me"

Such a beautiful testimony to the manifold grace of God! He truly does guide and protect us in more ways than we could imagine. There is never anything we experience apart from His sustaining hand. Please know you can count on the Lord to carry you through each day in His loving and powerful care.

The second section I want to focus on is toward the end of the prayer. It is a very well-known part which has itself been turned into several newer songs. See if it is familiar to you:

"Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise"

Here again we have words that reflect great biblical truths. We are assured of the faithful presence of Christ in our every moment. Day and night He is available, ready, able, and willing. That He will never leave us means that we are always together. Amazing grace!

It is said that the Prayer of St Patrick was originally a prayer for protection in battle. The battles we face will be different than those of Patrick, but we may call on the same Savior in our time of need. Friend, may you be deeply encouraged in the steadfast love of the Lord Jesus.


written by Gina

Comments

Anonymous said…
I had just read a biography about St. Patrick to my students last Friday and learned some things. His story was almost like Jim Elliot's End of the Spear: He had been kidnapped by Irish men and brought to Ireland where he worked as a slave for many years. He escaped, but later went back as a missionary to share the good news of Jesus with the same people who kidnapped and mistreated him.
Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Karen
Gina said…
What a fascinating story! Thanks for sharing, Karen. It was encouraging to read about Patrick's life of devotion, service, and sacrifice. Goes way beyond green beer and silly songs!