LHF#16: Pray & Work



I started reading Nehemiah today. In the first 4 chapters I was struck by Nehemiah's regular habit of praying and working. It went like this:

(1:11)  "O Lord, ... give success to Your servant today, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man."
(2:1)  "I took up the wine and gave it to the king."

(2:4)  "So I prayed to the God of heaven.
(2:5)  And I said to the king, ..."

(4:9)  "And we prayed to our God and set a guard as a protection." 

Nehemiah consistently prayed, and then he did what needed to be done.
He depended on God, and then set out to do the work God gave him to do.

I thought of all the things we may be called on to do in these days:
  • isolate ourselves from family & friends
  • miss work
  • work more
  • find childcare
  • care for extra children
  • care for sick ones
  • be the sick one!
  • extend ourselves to those in need
  • risk our health
  • limit our spending
  • have less to spend
  • deal with stress & anxiety
  • delay appointments & projects
  • miss out on familiar & special gatherings

Then I thought of how our challenges would be if we could do as Nehemiah did:
trust God and get to work. What do you think?


written by Gina

Comments

Anonymous said…
Exactly!'
Karen
Anonymous said…
This was very helpful as I try to stay healthy for the clients I help every day. As pastor suggested I try to pray every time I wash my hands for my client I am with and those I go to through out the day.